Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Jason Roberts is really good you know


Just a quickie to declare that if there’s Jason Roberts Appreciation Society, I’m in. I saw Roberts play at Upton Park over xmas in a thoroughly deserved 2-0 win for the Latics, and came away with the same feeling I’m sure many have had about Alan Shearer in the past: what a cheeky fouling bastard, wouldn’t mind him at West Ham though.

In fact the Shearer comparison is a good one. Essentially, Roberts is a thug with a good touch. Having found myself marvelling at Sylvan Distan’s strength and size when I saw him play for Man City earlier in the year, when Wigan hosted City a home a few weeks ago (winning 4-3) I couldn’t help giggling to myself when Roberts shrugged him off like a little girl, twice. Roberts is one of those footballing clichés; his shear presence causes defenders problems. You’re never quite sure if he’s fouled a defender or if they’ve fouled him. Anyway, if he was English, he’d be my fourth striker. This year he has scored 14 goals in all competitions, more than Owen, Rooney, Crouch and Defoe, and is one of the main reasons Wigan are doing so well.

Hats off to the man, especially today as its hi 28th birthday, which he celebrated by scoring the goal that knocked Arsenal out of the Carling Cup last night. Anyone who pisses off Wenger is a friend of mine.

No comments: